Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to rotate text/shape in Preview (MacOS) using Magic Mouse

Hi!

As I described in the title: how do I rotate a text box or a shape at a specific angle in Preview for macOS, using Magic Mouse 2 or any mouse?

I know there is a workaround to rotate it at 90 or 180 degrees (by rotating the entire image/PDF first), but I want to rotate it at a specific angle, let's say 45. How do I do that? I enabled every gesture control in Magic Mouse settings and I tried a lot of key combinations, nothing works. Moving the corners of the shape doesn't help, only resizes it.

I know this is possible using the trackpad, but, as expected, there are no trackpads on iMac.

Thanks you!

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 6:36 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 18, 2024 7:04 AM in response to IVVladimir

The Apple Magic Mouse drivers do not permit the rotation of a markup object by any degrees using any combination of keys and mouse. There simply is no Rotate support in the Keyboard settings panel. That is why Apple also sells the Apple Magic Trackpad separately dependiing on your aversion to expense .vs. need to rotate markup objects.

Apr 18, 2024 7:26 AM in response to IVVladimir

IVVladimir wrote:

Thank you for your answer!

Sounds like apple deliberately implemented the rotate function only for the trackpad. What a surprise...

The trackpad is multitouch, which is of course needed for something like rotation, so there is hardware support for implementing such things. The mouse isn't multitouch. It's no surprise that there are many gestures available if you have a trackpad, but not with a mouse. I can switch spaces, or activate Mission Control, for example, using gestures that require multiple fingers on the trackap. You can't have a four-finger swipe on the mouse, can you?

How to rotate text/shape in Preview (MacOS) using Magic Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.