Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Pencil stops charging while in the same position

I use an Apple Pencil 2nd generation and an iPad Air 5th generation.

My Apple Pencil stops charging, and begins discharging, at some point while staying in the same position for some time, for example, while it stays on my desk while I’m sleeping. I’ll observe the Pencil to have 100% charge and be charging when I go to bed, and when I wake up the charge will be lower (around 40%) and it will have stopped charging even though it was in the same position, magnetically attached to my iPad all night.

It also only charges to 99% now.

I had exactly the same issue a month ago (randomly discharging, only charging to 99%) which was resolved when I contacted Apple Support; I did a software update on 13 March 2024 which resolved the issue completely, my Apple Pencil would charge 100% and stay charged for long periods of time in the same position.

However, currently, my iPad is running iPadOS 17.4.1, which is the latest software update. The recent issues with my Apple Pencil also started right after I updated my iPad to iPadOS 17.4.1.

Apple Pencil (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 10:01 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Apple Pencil stops charging while in the same position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.