Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Punctuation is being spoken, using “speak screen” and “speak selection” on iPhone 14/iOS 17.4.1

When using the speak screen or speak selection function, Siri will say “comma”, instead of simply pausing while reading the selected text or screen back to me. This also happens when speaking a list of items on a website. For instance, if the list reads

-apples

-oranges

-bananas

Siri speaks:

apples comma oranges comma bananas.

This typically only happens when Siri is dictating a webpage. But often the same dictation error occurs when reading a paragraph I’ve typed in Word or another app.

i’ll also note that a similar issue (in reverse) happened when I would be using voice to text. When I spoke the word “comma”, Siri would interpret what I said as “call Mom”. It took me quite a while to figure out why “call mom” kept coming up in my dictated text. I simply stopped using the word “comma” and Siri would insert the “,” at the appropriate place. Example: My dictated text would often read:

Pick up some eggs call mom bread call mom and milk.”

What I was trying to say:

Pick up some eggs, bread and milk. 😂

Not sure if the two are related. But once the “call Mom” issue was fixed, Siri started to read “commas” when using speak screen.

iPhone 14 iOS 17.4.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 11:09 AM

There are no replies.

Punctuation is being spoken, using “speak screen” and “speak selection” on iPhone 14/iOS 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.