Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

macOS Kernel panics when Endpoint Security is installed on my Mac

I am having a lot of kernel panics and one of the things I did was to download a fresh version of Mac OS. that's when I found Endpoint security app on my Mac.

it was installed today in the 18th and I have not download3ed anything except Mac OS

I s this a part of Mac OS?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 1:33 PM

It can be confusing to know which Endpoint Security you mean. Apple does indeed have built-in malware protection APIs by that name. But, it can also be third party garbage. And there are multiples with the same name.

ninjaOne

Jamf Protect

and more…

• Cynet Endpoint Security for Mac—an autonomous security platform for visibility and protection of Mac devices.
  • Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Mac—a lightweight security platform for Mac desktops and notebooks.
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac—an on-premise endpoint security solution for Mac devices.
  • ESET Endpoint Protection for Mac—a remote endpoint security platform for cross-platform devices.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2024 1:33 PM in response to DanMccarter

It can be confusing to know which Endpoint Security you mean. Apple does indeed have built-in malware protection APIs by that name. But, it can also be third party garbage. And there are multiples with the same name.

ninjaOne

Jamf Protect

and more…

• Cynet Endpoint Security for Mac—an autonomous security platform for visibility and protection of Mac devices.
  • Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Mac—a lightweight security platform for Mac desktops and notebooks.
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac—an on-premise endpoint security solution for Mac devices.
  • ESET Endpoint Protection for Mac—a remote endpoint security platform for cross-platform devices.

Apr 19, 2024 8:58 AM in response to PRP_53

Ah, that's what happened to a bunch of replies. I looked over that previous odd posting and didn't see any personal information. Must have missed it, but someone else did and reported it.

To add to PRP_53's response. Please stop trying to post the EtreCheck report here in any way other than directly from EtreCheck. I showed above how to do it. Here it is again, right at the top of the EtreCheck app.

When EtreCheck is done examining your Mac, click here first.

Click here second to get the report into the clipboard.

Use this method only. There is no need to use yet another app.

Then start a new reply here and paste the clipboard into an Additional text box.

From the previous and now removed replies, you've already gotten rid of some items. Do at least this one more:

Get rid of the memory cleaner app. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. The OS intentionally uses as much RAM as possible to speed things up. The memory cleaner app clears what it thinks is unused RAM or data that hasn't changed for a bit. The OS fills it again. The app clears it again. Round and round this goes and only succeeds in slowing the Mac down as the cleaner app prevents the OS from operating as designed.

Once you get that app off the system, restart the Mac, run a new EtreCheck report and post it here so we can see what's left.

Apr 20, 2024 5:08 AM in response to DanMccarter

This is from my Memory of the now missing Etrecheck Report

The computer has been severely compromised by several unneeded Third Party Applications

Some of which have basically Mucked Up the User Account folder ( Home Folder ) on this computer

One can remove the Third Party Applications and believe one has gotten rid of every bit of them

But in reality bits and pieces will remain

Even if you were to send days or weeks attempting to get them all - something will eventually reappear and cause issues

Again from my Memory, this is a Apple Silicon Computer which is a good thing

Must like in iOS for iPhones and iPads, when you what to Reset the iPhone / iPad to Factory Setting

It can be done without having to Reinstall the whole Operating System

This was an idea flowed by Learned College @Kurt Lang earlier but alas it too is now missing

Lastly and very important if going via the Below method

Thereafter to start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

How to erase all content and settings

1. Do one of the following:
    • On your Mac running macOS 13 or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General , click Transfer or Reset, then click Erase All Content and Settings.
    • On your Mac running macOS 12 or earlier: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then in the menu bar, choose System Preferences > Erase All Content and Settings.
  1. In Erase Assistant, enter your administrator information (the password you use to log in to your Mac).
  2. Review items that will be removed in addition to your content and settings.
  3. On your Mac running multiple user accounts, click the arrow next to your account name to review the items.
  4. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Apr 18, 2024 12:18 PM in response to DanMccarter

Yes, Endpoint Security, is provided with macOS to allow for new features that come with newer versions of macOS since macOS Catalina. It is an API, that allows both Apple and third-party developers to include support for:

• User Authentication to macOS:
    • Password
    • Touch ID
    • Cryptographic Tokens
    • Auto Unlock for Apple Watch
  • Login and Logout
    • Login window
    • Screen sharing
    • SSH
    • /usr/bin/login
  • Gatekeeper's XProtect
    • Malicious software detection
    • Malicious software remediation

The EtreCheck report should help with identifying the potential causes of these kernel panics ... assuming that you are still getting them after performing a "clean" install of macOS.

Apr 18, 2024 3:29 PM in response to DanMccarter

DanMccarter wrote:

I see the share button and I can find the affectional text but how to get the report over to here

Please share the EtreCheck results to the clipboard. Then please open a new reply here, and press the Additional Text button that looks like a printed page, and paste and post the hardware and software configuration report here. From that, we can get a little more detail about what is installed and what is running here.

macOS Kernel panics when Endpoint Security is installed on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.