Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac OS system storage issues.

I am trying to reduce the storage space on my MacBook Air. Looking at Messages attachments, and trying to force them to upload in iCloud Drive to see if that keeps me from having to erase them from my MBA-128gb.

I have read a lot this week about solutions. I've explored moving the user folder to an external drive.

Currently I have turned off iCloud storage so I could use the helper to delete the attachments from that folder.

Then I had the idea that I could move the attachments folder to iCloud Drive and let them upload to the cloud, and put an alias in the messages folder.

This is in process at this time. We will see what happens to them and my space needs.

BUT -- if I turn on Messages iCloud sync again, will those items replace themselves in the messages-cloud-backup. ??

Has anyone else tried this method of regaining needed operating space?

What would happen if I put some other space-hogs into the cloud drive? [Looking at you photos folder]

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 12:58 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 19, 2024 9:32 AM in response to Frances-NC

I think my experiment is working. I moved the library>messages > attachments folder to my iCloud Drive on my Mac and sent alias to the original folder location. Files have now uploaded and have regained about 75% of its size on my computer. I am going to try this next with some lesser used apps to see if I can keep my small SSD less clogged with system files.

Still curious if I should sync Messages to the Cloud. Afraid all those cloud files will replace the ones I am trying to save. Thank you kindly!

Mac OS system storage issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.