Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I reinstall Mac OS X on a 2008 MacBook?

I have an aluminum 13 inch MacBook from 2008 that used to run macOS 10.6.8. The operating system was deleted after the settings app somehow got deleted and I was trying to retrieve it. It doesn’t use command and r. Here are some of the things I tried but it failed:

Single user mode reset.(said command doesn’t exist)

reset nvram and pram.(nothing happened)

Mac OS X install disc.(said it wasn’t compatible)

I used the dmg file & terminal command "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume" and it said command not found. I want to fix this so I can use garage band 6, my favorite version. I tried most of the ways to fix it but it still failed.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 1:19 PM

Similar questions

20 replies

Apr 19, 2024 3:09 PM in response to demotriea

please refer to this page > How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.

if you are using all the correct steps, including first erasing the Mac through the install DVD utilities, then frankly, I'm stumped. but I do believe that you need to do the erase through the DVD utilities even if the Mac was erased before you started down this path.

Apr 21, 2024 9:05 AM in response to demotriea

Right now I made an el capitan bootable drive and right now it is installing. After years of working and several discussions, I have been able to fix this computer. Thank you Jeffreythefrog for the helpful advice on the computers. I was able to make the bootable drive by using an older 21 inch iMac and using a dmg to make the bootable device.

Apr 18, 2024 4:30 PM in response to demotriea

demotriea wrote:

I have an aluminum 13 inch MacBook from 2008 that used to run macOS 10.6.8.

sorry but that MacBook cannot run sonoma. the last compatible macOS (OS X) for it is El Capitan.

if you did see somewhere that is is compatible with Sonoma, that source is mistaken. and even if it was an official apple support page, all I can say is that not even apple is infallible.

so basically, you want to create a bootable installer for El Capitan at the newest.

Apr 19, 2024 2:53 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

im using the sd card for the El Capitan which still doesn't work and I boot the disc by powering on the Mac and holding the option key and after the cursor shows up I insert the disc and I boot into it and I choose the language and agree to the terms and conditions, then it says that I can't install the OS. I don't have a backup so the other option is useless in my situation.

Apr 19, 2024 2:24 PM in response to demotriea

demotriea wrote:

I have it but it said disc not compatible on one of them and on the other one it will stop reading entirely and won't boot into it.

are you powering up the Mac while the disc is already inserted into the drive, and then pressing and holding your "option" key while booting up?

Im using an SD card for this.

not sure what that has to do with using the snow leopard install DVD.

How do I reinstall Mac OS X on a 2008 MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.