Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What do I need to make my own CD’s on my iMac 24” running macOS Sonoma?

I want to make my own CD's for my old car.

What equipment do I need to make CD's from iMac 2024?

My post includes text...?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 5:13 PM

You need an external CD/DVD writer (aka burner) drive. There are many choices in the market.

I use a Pioneer BDR-XD07s (the current model is BDR-XD08s) and it works great. OWC also has very good CD/DVD writers. But I would not recommend the Apple USB Superdrive. Most drives connect to your iMac with a USB cable (usually included with the drive). It would also be best to get a drive that has its own power supply, not a bus-powered drive.

If you only need to create audio CDs you can use the Music app (formerly iTunes) that comes with all Macs. Import your song tracks into Music, make a playlist and then you can burn the playlist to a CD. Do note that you are generally limited to about 60 min of music on a CD.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2024 5:13 PM in response to salemi66

You need an external CD/DVD writer (aka burner) drive. There are many choices in the market.

I use a Pioneer BDR-XD07s (the current model is BDR-XD08s) and it works great. OWC also has very good CD/DVD writers. But I would not recommend the Apple USB Superdrive. Most drives connect to your iMac with a USB cable (usually included with the drive). It would also be best to get a drive that has its own power supply, not a bus-powered drive.

If you only need to create audio CDs you can use the Music app (formerly iTunes) that comes with all Macs. Import your song tracks into Music, make a playlist and then you can burn the playlist to a CD. Do note that you are generally limited to about 60 min of music on a CD.

Apr 18, 2024 3:53 PM in response to salemi66

You would need an external CD/DVD writer, there are many options available to you at www.macsale.coms. I would recommend calling them and explaining the types of projects you would like to do and they can help you with an appropriate device for your needs. You will also likely need some third party software however what we cannot predict as you only stated "I want to make my own CD's for my old car." which tells us nothing we can use.

Apr 19, 2024 10:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I had some trouble with my question and the formatting. I have a brand new Mac and I would like to know what equipment is needed to make CD’s from iTunes. I know how to purchase songs and I’ve burned CD’s before on my old laptop but this new desktop is interesting because, firstly it’s the first desktop I’ve ever owned and secondly I don’t know what equipment to buy in order to make CD’s .

I would like to listen to music in my old car that still has a cd player. I think my question was cut off or something, so I’m sorry for that.

Thank you though and I look forward to learning from you all

What do I need to make my own CD’s on my iMac 24” running macOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.