Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

When watching a video I saw magenta blocks on my iPad screen

I was watching a show on my ipad and then all of a sudden the screen glitched and has magenta pixeled blocks on the screen. i can’t restart it or just exit out of the app i was using. it is basically unresponsive to everything i try. i can turn off the screen but when i turn it back on the magenta blocks are still there.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 5:16 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2024 6:43 AM in response to phoenx11

That is very strange because that is my exact model and the ios i am running as well. i have also never dropped my ipad for it to have such a glitch. i cant even take a screenshot so i guess yours is slightly better than mine. i haven’t found a solution to the problem yet. I was going to take it into apple to check out what’s the problem. a few people have asked me what if i just let it lose all its battery, but im scared i wont be able to turn it on ever again if it shuts down. i will let you know if i do find a solution. sorry to hear we’re in the same boat….

Apr 19, 2024 7:20 AM in response to rizelle1302

As described, your iPad likely has a display fault that will require repair.

You can easily determine if you have a hardware or software issue. A reliable method to confirm a screen or other hardware fault is to take a screenshot when the fault is evident - and then review the captured screenshot image...

When reviewed, if the magenta or pixelated blocks are not present in the screenshot image, then you have demonstrated that you have a hardware fault that, sooner or later, may become sufficiently severe that repair or replacement of the iPad are the only options. If the screen artefacts are visible in the screenshot, the something other than hardware will be the cause.

Note: When reviewing the image, rotating the iPad screen orientation by 90°, from Portrait to Landscape, will ensure that the image does not coincide with screen defects if present. Otherwise, try reviewing the screenshot image from another device.

Take a screenshot on your iPad – Apple Support

If the test indicates that a hardware fault, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store is recommended - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad. This will likely inform your next steps:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair – Official Apple Support

Apr 21, 2024 6:04 AM in response to rizelle1302

Have you discovered the issue causing the problem? I'm running a 2nd gen. iPad pro 11" on 17.4.1 and for the first time. a few minutes ago experienced the identical issue you described. Been google searching but no solution as yet. My iPad is in great shape, never been dropped. I took a screen shot as it was happening but when I went to check, all I had was a black photo, no image at all.

When watching a video I saw magenta blocks on my iPad screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.