Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About AirPrint

Printing from iPad

I cannot connect my printer to a Wi-Fi network. I could buy a router and use Wi-Fi direct. However, I would like to just plug my iPad into the printer and print. Is it possible to print from an iPad using a USB cable and a USB OTG adapter? Various websites say you can, but apple support told me you cannot. It seems like connecting an OTG cable to the printer cable would work, however, I have been looking at OTG adapters and cables and many of them say they work for transfering pictures, etc., but do not work for printing.

iPad Pro

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 8:11 AM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2024 8:32 AM in response to Leon.r.h

iOS/iPadOS doesn’t natively support direct connection to a USB Printer. Instead, these devices use a network connection to supported printers typically over WiFi - or if explicitly supported by the printer, a wired ethernet connection.

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

If your Printer does not support AirPrint, WiFi Direct is simple wireless alternative - but will require use of an appropriate App supplied by the Printer Manufacturer (e.g., many HP Printers use the HP Smart App).

A further alternative is to add AirPrint support to your existing USB Printer using a Print Server (e.g., Lantronix xPrintServer - or a Raspberry Pi running CUPS). Both are viable, however, you may find that purchase of a cheap AirPrint-capable printer may be more cost effective.

Printing from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.