Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Safari AutoFill Credit Card Expiration Date Decrements - Still not fixed after years.

I don't know how to reproduce this.

Every few months Safari on any of my devices changes the expiration month of all of my stored credit cards by decreasing the month by 1, for example instead of 10/2029 it changes it to 09/2029.

This happens on MacBook Pro M1 Max with latest Sonoma and Safari, iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 17.4.1, and two iPad Air 4s.

I don't want the answer to be to sign out of iCloud on all my devices. There is a coding problem that needs to be fixed. This is extremely annoying and has been going on for several years now. It is impossible to search the internet for it also, because all of the buzz words address other problems unrelated to this one.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 4:56 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2024 9:31 AM in response to oxfordrunner2020

I'm so glad to read this, as I thought I was going mad. This is a very inconvenient bug, I've had considerable trouble purchasing flights or other things as credit card payments would (apparently randomly) fail. Call the credit card company, find out that I (=that is, Safari) has been entering the wrong month, wondering how on earth that could happen? I then added the expiry month to the description field of the credit card, just to make it easy to check, and sure enough, a few months later, it happens again. This time, knowing what happened, after the first failed card payment I just had to go through and fix the expiry month to the one I had noted in the name field.

But what a bizarre and annoying bug! (You seriously don't want to spend time on the phone with your credit card company while traveling abroad & trying to book a flight because of some weird Safari bug...)

Note, for the sake of circling in on this bug, that my correct expiry month is 10 (as in the example given by OP), while it "randomly" changes it to 09 (as in the example).

MacBook Air, 15-inch, M2, 2023

MacOS Sonoma, Version 14.4.1 (23E224)

Safari Version 17.4.1 (19618.1.15.11.14)

Apr 30, 2024 5:12 AM in response to FabHK

I'm glad I'm not the only one. A call to Apple Support is on my to-do list. It's just hard to explain "decrement" over the phone to someone who hasn't dabbled at least in 1 college class of computer coding, or equivalent experience. They're like, what's a decrement?

I'll report back if I get any answers. I tried to report the bug in an official safari forum but that went nowhere.

Safari AutoFill Credit Card Expiration Date Decrements - Still not fixed after years.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.