Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Saving old music library

I've had an account with iTunes for many years. I've not been able to access the store using my AOL email address for reasons that are too long to go into to, so I opened a new account using a gmail address.

When I went to open my iTunes library today, I'm being told I must delete or close the original account before accessing my new account.

My concern is will I lose all the music I've got on the original library.

Some are purchased and the majority are off CD's.

Thank You

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 2:39 AM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2024 12:33 AM in response to SunshineA105

Although you state that the reasons are too long to go into, I think you should investigate why you can't get into your account with that ID. It is simply an ID (identifier), so even if you no longer use your AOL account, you should be able to get into your Apple account using the same set of letters as your ID.

Note the difference between AOL account and Apple account. They're two separate accounts, both using the same text to identify your account, but with different passwords. Perhaps that's the issue, did you use the password for AOL when trying to sign into your Apple account? I recall having to get my head around the fact that Apple insisted on users using their email address as their Apple username. I thought at the time that it would lead to confusion.

I assume that once you get into your Apple account, you should be able to go to your account settings and update the email address.

By the way, to expand on what ed2345 mentioned, if you do create a new user ID, you will not get access via account that to any music purchased from the iTunes Store using your previous account. But as ed stated, this does not affect music ripped from your CDs or purchased from other online stores.

Apr 25, 2024 2:35 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to press to delete the original account as advised when I opened the new account in gmail.

All went well, I haven't lost any of my music library.

Plus a bonus, I'd had a previous problem that whenever I played my music I kept getting a message to open a new account which would stop my music playing.....

Music is now playing continuous as before, I'm happy!

Can access the iTunes store & now update my collection of music!

Thank you for the reply....

Saving old music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.