Can I pair an Apple TV 4K with an Apple TV HD to act as Master and Slave?

I have an Apple TV HD (A1625). Upon trying to connect latest products from EVE with the Matter standard I found out that this will not work in my current HomeKit which runs with my Apple TV HD (A1625).

So I now have the choice to shop at Ebay for an oder Version of this EVE Energy Socket or to upgrade my smart Home Network with an Apple TV 4K.

Since we live in a multi-story house I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to then use the TWO Apple TV devices in my house, by configuring the Apple TV 4K as the MASTER device and the (older) Apple TV HD (A1625) as the SLAVE device.

Could you advise

1. whether that could work to extend the reach of my smart home network?
  2. how I should go about to configure the newer device as the MASTER and the older device as the SLAVE?

Thank you in advance,

Apple TV HD

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 12:18 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2024 11:35 PM in response to wvanbog

Having more than one hub won’t do what you are asking. There is “connected” which means this is the Hub that is currently running HomeKit and “standby”which is not doing anything until needed. Only one can be used as connected status at one time and you cannot choose which. They switch around on their own and none of us really know why or how this happens. So it will always be this master / slave you speak of but you cannot choose which one is.

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2024 10:41 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you much for your answer. I would not care which device is acting as MASTER or SLAVE and switching these roles. My issue is that I want to integrate smart devices into my Home Network and that I need an Apple TV 4K for that purpose. If I do connect the latest EVE Energy smart sockets to my new Apple TV 4K will my older Apple TV HD in the same WiFi Network also see these smart devices when these Apple TV products swap the MASTER & SLAVE role as they like?

Can I pair an Apple TV 4K with an Apple TV HD to act as Master and Slave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.