Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacOS Ventura and Sonoma Storage Summary for Music app incorrect

I've got an M2 Macbook Air with 1 Tb of storage. When I go to General->Settings->Storage it shows 710 GB of 994 GB in use, which is what I would expect. But when it draws the colored bar graph, it's all solid red, and if I hover over it, it says Music is using 9.37 TB (yes, TB, that is not a typo).

This started when I got it all setup on Ventura, and I recently upgraded to Sonoma (14.4.1) and it's still doing it.

If I scroll down the list, it shows Music as 9.37 TB in the list as well.

But if I click on "info" There's nothing listed:

I have most of my music library on a 200 GB microSD and a NAS, only 11 GB on the local hard drive if I do a "Get Info" on my <user>/Music folder. I do subscribe to iTunes Match, but I don't own 9 TB worth of music to match, and it can't have put 9 TB onto a 1 TB storage device.

This makes the internal drive's storage graph useless for figuring out where I might want to look for things to delete, as well as making me concerned the OS is making space storage decisions based on thinking the storage is full, when there's really 200+ GB free.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get it to accurately count the music on the local built-in drive, or what else might be going on?

-debbie

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 7:45 AM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2024 6:58 AM in response to djf54321

I tried reindexing spotlight (thanks Barney-15E for the idea) but after letting it run all night I didn't find any difference.

Apple Music was convinced it had 9.51 TB of music as well (status bar was off by default so I hadn't seen the total on this device). I turned on Size in the music list, and found that Music had decided that one song still in the library for which the media was lost in a disk crash so there is no actual file, was 8.57 TB large, that it had iTunes matched it, and that the file was local to this hard drive:

Deleting this brought Music down to thinking it was "939 GB" because nearly every song on that album was 100+ GB on the root of the hard drive according to the app.

I get that leaving the songs in the app when there was no actual file for them to find is kind of weird, it was more of a reminder to bug my family member that had bought that album that we might want to re-buy it and if so it would already be tagged with the right data, but it seems less than idea for the Music App to randomly (?) pick such a large size and file location.

Deleting the album brought the Music app down to thinking it was 129 GB of songs and the entire Music app thinks it's using 1.87 GB on the local hard drive. Both of those are much more what I expected.

Hopefully Mac OS was basing it's "I have enough drive space to not push things to iCloud" on the 710 of 990 GB used data, but now I'm more confident it won't make bad decisions.

MacOS Ventura and Sonoma Storage Summary for Music app incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.