Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro won't boot anything Mac-related

My 2018 MacBook Pro will not boot anything Mac-related. I tried recovery on internet and usb, reset pram and any other key combination you can think of and nothing I keep getting a bootloop with the Apple logo and restarts sometimes there isn't an Apple logo and also there's a small white line.

I have a windows partition and it works fine

I also have a 2018 Mac mini, I tried using device Configurator but I can't connect it to my MacBook because the plug I'm using isn't a thunderbolt and I don't have any thunderbolt cables

Any help

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 6:12 AM

If none of the commands work and you can't even reinstall the OS, it is probably a hard disk defect, so you will have to replace it, fortunately it is a fairly simple process.

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 22, 2024 7:19 PM in response to Drtendo

2018 model?

I spoke too quickly. That model has T2 chip, and its disk can NOT be replaced in the way older models could. with T2 chip, half the Mac's private information is on an inaccessible portion of the disk, and the T2 acts as disk controller and will not let ordinary software touch it.

You may need to get that ThunderBolt cable and do a firmware revive using your other Mac:

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support:

Apr 22, 2024 9:18 PM in response to Drtendo

Drtendo wrote:

I also have a 2018 Mac mini, I tried using device Configurator but I can't connect it to my MacBook because the plug I'm using isn't a thunderbolt and I don't have any thunderbolt cables

You cannot use a Thunderbolt cable for the process. You can only use a USB-C cable which only supports the USB protocol....such as the USB-C charging cable....your 2018 MBPro should have this cable already. Read the instructions in this Apple article very carefully:

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

Can you make it into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R?

If so, then you can try creating a new APFS volume (give it a unique name), then install macOS to that new APFS volume (the new OS will exist beside the original OS). Once in a while that may allow you to boot the 2018+ Mac normally at least to the new OS....sometimes it may even allow the original OS to boot as well and it would give you more information if successful. Otherwise a DFU firmware Revive or perhaps even the nuclear "Restore" option is required, or perhaps the laptop has a hardware issue. It is not easy dealing or working with these 2018+ Macs when something goes wrong & it can be hard to tell if you it is user error or a hardware issue. It can be tricky putting the Mac into DFU Mode.

These are about your only options.

Apr 25, 2024 9:19 PM in response to Drtendo

Can you boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R)?

If so, then launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu on the menubar and issue the following commands & post photos of the output.

diskutil  list  internal

diskutil  ap  list

Make sure to maximize the Terminal window by clicking the green button. If the output of the last command scrolls off the display, then you can use the following command which will allow you to scroll through the output so you can take multiple pictures. Use the Up Arrow & Down Arrow keys to scroll up & down a line at a time, or you can use Fn + Up Arrow and Fn + Down Arrow to page up & down a screen at a time. To exit the listing, just press the "Q" key.

diskutil  ap  list  |  less

Apr 30, 2024 2:22 PM in response to Drtendo

Make sure to use a wired USB keyboard to access the special startup keys since timing is critical to access the special boot modes. A wireless keyboard may not go ready soon enough. Also, make sure to try both local recovery mode & Internet Recovery Mode. Booting from USB is only possible if you previously modified the Mac's security settings to allow booting from USB by using the Startup Security Utility while booted to Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode.

If you cannot access Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) even after a DFU firmware Revive & using a wired USB keyboard, then your only option is to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the Mac since that is the only way to attempt any "fixes" to macOS. Internet Recovery Mode can be difficult for many to access since it requires a good network connection that is not blocking any of the required network ports or protocols (usually gives a large negative error code). Local recovery mode may not be available if the OS or file system on the internal boot drive is damaged.

Apr 30, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Drtendo

The Windows side working suggests a hardware issue with macOS.

Run Apple Diagnostics (hold Option + D at startup) to see if it detects any problems.

With the results (or even without), contact Apple Support for further troubleshooting or service options. They can help diagnose the hardware and get your Mac back to normal!

You can also check for

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro won't boot anything Mac-related

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.