Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I selectively drag and drop files/folders from my old external hard drive to the new one?

Hi, so I have a MacBook Air M1. 2020. I have backed up files in my old external hard drive from 2022 and would like to transfer all backed up data from my old 4TB external hard drive to my new 5TB external hard drive. The issue now is that when I do a normal drag and drop of all the backed up files from my old hard drive it tells me there’s about 74+ thousands things that need to be transferred and I am pretty sure I won’t be needing more than half of those data for instance there is a folders in one of the back ups that says ‘Library’ and iDont know what any of the items in there are. I only want to move files and data I’ll need over to the new hard drive. Does anyone have any advice on if iCan specifically drag and drop particular files/folders from the old hard drive to the new one (if there are) or is it adviced to just drag and drop every single thing? iHope this question makes sense..

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 3:30 PM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2024 4:19 AM in response to queenfromcrawley

" Hi, so I have a MacBook Air M1. 2020. I have backed up files in my old external hard drive from 2022 and would like to transfer all backed up data from my old 4TB external hard drive to my new 5TB external hard drive. "

That specific action is not possible

Even if one were to use a Dedicated Cloning Software, it could not Transfer a Time Machine Backup from one External Drive to another External Drive

You might be better off Putting the Old TM Backup Drive aside for safe keeping

Then, Setup the New Drive in TM Backup and start a New Regime on the new drive

You can always use the Old Time Machine Backup drive at a later time to Restore Individual files

Can I selectively drag and drop files/folders from my old external hard drive to the new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.