Multiple users and disconnecting external display

I recently upgraded to Ventura from Monterey and my children have recently upgraded to Sonoma (M1 laptops). We each have multiple user accounts (e.g. work, games) for focus and security reasons and use the "fast user switching" function in macOS. Hence, there are multiple users logged in concurrently.

In Monterey, disconnecting an external display had no problems. However, since Ventura, disconnecting an external display will only "update" the "active" user. When fast-switching to another (logged in) user, macOS is confused and has a different virtual resolution; even trying to move the pointer to the Apple menu doesn't work. We need to force a logout (using shortcut keys: Option-Shift-Command-Q is very useful) of the other account(s) for the macOS user interface to work correctly (once logged in again).

An alternative is to disconnect the external display in one account, then fast-switch to another account and reconnect/disconnect the display there, and so on.

This problem appears to be in both Ventura and Sonoma but was not an issue in Monterey. Does anyone know of a way to fix the problem?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 4:35 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 24, 2024 11:29 AM in response to mbne

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and reboot normally. Then test to see if the problem persists.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Apr 24, 2024 8:33 AM in response to mbne

This problem might be related to changes in how macOS handles display management in newer versions. One potential workaround could involve adjusting the display settings for each user account individually. You could try setting the display resolution and arrangement separately for each user account to see if that resolves the issue.

Another option to explore is resetting the display settings for all user accounts. This can sometimes clear any lingering issues with display configurations that may be causing conflicts between user accounts. However, be cautious with this approach as it will reset all display settings to their default values.

If these solutions don't resolve the problem, it may be worth reaching out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized support and may be able to offer additional insights or troubleshooting steps specific to your situation.

Apr 24, 2024 10:55 AM in response to mbne

FWIW, I could not reproduce this on my mac (2019 16" MBP) on my testing.

I used Fast User Switching between accounts, then disconnected the external display, and did FUS back to the first account. It adjusted normally, just it would if disconnecting the display when having a single account logged in. The dimensions were correct and windows from the external display reverted to the internal one.

Are you by any chance using the display as mirror of the internal? When I tested this, I had the external display as extended desktop. Maybe that is the difference... I will test that and report back.

Apr 25, 2024 3:09 AM in response to mbne

mbne wrote:

Display is a second display (primary I think) not mirrored. But these are M1-based Macs so perhaps that's the difference. Nice to know it's not a "feature" of Ventura/Sonoma (which I'm assuming you're running).

Yes, I am running Sonoma 14.4.1.

I also have access to an M1 Max, but only at work, and it usually has only one display. I will see if I have a chance to attach a second display and test, but not today (it's a national holiday in my country). I will report back.

Apr 27, 2024 5:21 AM in response to mbne

Managed to find a useful workaround in case it helps others in future: simply (a) fast-user-switch, (b) notice the resolution is incorrect; (c) close laptop lid; (d) reopen. This (in Ventura 13.6.6 at least) seems to reset the display - and will work for each user that is logged in when the external display is disconnected.

(In my case, the external display is ultra-wide. Also, Settings => Display and changing resolutions had no effect until laptop lid was closed.)

Multiple users and disconnecting external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.