Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple TV+ on 3rd Generation Apple TV

I just subscribed to Apple TV+ on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. However, I am unable to log into 3rd Gen Apple TV when I try to watch a movie. I can see them all, but it will not take my password. There is nowhere to put in any other special code on the TV either and I have tried putting in the code after my password. Still no go. 3rd Gen Apple TV connected via hdmi to 2008 plasma. I can screen mirror YouTube and other videos no problem through my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the 3rd generation Apple TV. Is screen mirroring and AirPlay the same thing?

what else can I try?

iPhone 4s, iOS 9

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 5:54 PM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2024 9:44 PM in response to Ingebelle

However, I am unable to log into 3rd Gen Apple TV when I try to watch a movie. I can see them all, but it will not take my password. There is nowhere to put in any other special code on the TV either and I have tried putting in the code after my password.

The 2012 model? If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get past the time limit.

This applies to the Sign-in for iTunes (as different from signing in for iCloud services). Forget about iCloud on the legacy model.

I can screen mirror YouTube and other videos no problem through my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the 3rd generation Apple TV. Is screen mirroring and AirPlay the same thing?

Sort of. It is sometimes used interchangeably. Strictly speaking, Screen Mirroring (from Control Center) is using Apple’s streaming protocol “AirPlay” to mirror what is one the screen of the sending device. It is also possible (even better) to use in-app AirPlay controls (if available), which strictly wouldn’t be mirroring (screens wouldn’t show the same thing). Lastly, some VOD apps on iPhone or iPad may switch from Screen Mirroring to in-app AirPlay automatically, if properly programmed.

Note that some apps may require a later model receiving device for AirPlay (supporting only AirPlay v2).

Apr 25, 2024 4:32 PM in response to Ingebelle

If you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, or Mac, then you can request a fresh verification code at any time. The latest generated code will be the valid one.

iPhone: Settings﹥[Your Name/Apple ID]﹥Sign-In & Security﹥Two-Factor Authentication﹥[tap this line, even though it isn’t blue]﹥Get Verification Code﹥[a pop-up window with a 6-digit verification code will show].

Apr 24, 2024 8:55 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I think the point at which I get a verification code is the issue. Before your advice, I have been entering just a pword and then "submit", after which a verification code pops up on my iPhone. Then I go back and enter pword+verification code, but no go. I suppose it's because I did not get code "manually" before hitting submit. Could you be more specific on how to "manually" request a code?

Apple TV+ on 3rd Generation Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.