Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Date range folders for photo backups?

I want to use my Macbook Pro to copy photos from SD cards to external backup drives and put into folders by the date taken.

Note: I do not want to use Apple Photos.

I had a program that did this simply and quickly, Capture One Express. However it has recently been discontinued. They have a pro version but it's >$500 and I don't use it's processing/editing power, so I'm looking for a simple way to import photos.

I haven't found solution yet and am hopeing that someone will be able to point me towards a reasonable priced option.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 1:36 AM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2024 6:50 AM in response to Feijoa9

I played with Finder for awhile-- it has a "Group By" function built in. But I don't thing the groupings would help you.

Like markwmsn suggests, I would just drag them from an SD card to a folder that is set to View by List and Sort by "Date Created." Then you can click on the first, shift-click on the last one of the same date, and choose "File>New Folder With Selection." I'm not sure a script or shortcut be be useful, since there are only 2 steps. The worst part would be having to name the dated folders. Programs like GraphicConverter ($40), handy for all kinds of things, will do batch renaming, and I'm sure there are others to do that, as well. 

Let us know what you come up with...

Date range folders for photo backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.