MacBook Pro start up issue, says dead battery when not...

Hi, I've seen this issue in another post from 2017, but it wasn't solved. Hope someone can help 🙏

This is the issue with my MBP (15 inch, 2018, A1990):

1. Mac use - with battery at 95%. Turn off with battery aprox. 70%.
  2. Open mac: It says battery is dead, need to charge.
  3. Close it, open it again, same thing.
  4. Connect it (even to a small power supply, like an iPhone charger) and it starts normally
  5. Disconnect it (even before the main user window appears)
  6. Everything runs normal, running on battery at 67% approx.

I should mention that step 3 sometimes has worked, as if the fact of closing and opening the lid again makes the mac realize it's not dead.

Heres a screenshot of battery status:

Also, last year after begging to an Apple Care manager (I was suffering this and other issues), he kindly put my mac up to an Apple Care Service and they took it and changed the battery, logic board and Touch ID board. Here's the specs:

I'm a little experienced with computers so I've already tried things like SMC reset and other go-to solutions of this kind, but I haven't found any solution for this issue.

I'm stuck with almost 3000€ worth of Mac, with a battery and logic board newer than the mac itself and I can't take the laptop outside being sure that it will turn on 😅

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 3:17 AM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2024 9:30 PM in response to javi_6

Unfortunately this seems to be a "feature" of these newer USB-C Macs. I suspect the Logic Board is disconnecting from the Battery which is why you are seeing this problem, but this is only a guess since I've seen this occur even with a brand new Apple battery for the Macs I support for my organization. Ignore it if it only rarely occurs. If it occurs all the time, then it is an issue you should report it to Apple again.

Personally I would not recommend spending any money on repairs for the 2018-2020 Intel Macs for multiple reasons.

Apr 24, 2024 4:07 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much for your answer! I'm prone to think that way because it's REALLY strange to experience this with a new battery and logic board. Although it may occur occasionally, the fact that I can't rely on the mac while I'm away it's there... But Apple should do something since it's not a "part" problem 😅

MacBook Pro start up issue, says dead battery when not...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.