Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Audio waveform changes while adjusting video/image length?

Hello!

Hoping someone can explain what iMovie is doing here - I've looked all over for an answer to no avail...

In an iMovie project with

- a single png file - dragged to always be shown during an audio file - my song

- an audio file of my song

As the length of the png image is varied, the end point of the image causes the audio track to seemingly change/dip in response.

The attached image shows the behavior.

Audio always plays normally, although the playhead 'hops' over the 'dip' in the waveform of the (green audio file).

So, it isn't a 'problem' but since the audio waveform changes in response to adjusting the visual, I assume iMovie is trying to indicate something with this behavior?

Thanks for any help! 🙂

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 7:11 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 4:57 AM in response to Rich839

Hello!

Thank you for your response 🙂

I'm not that familiar with iMovie so you must be right...

But it seems odd behavior - usually when an audio app displays a change in audio waveform it means that waveform really is changing.

For example, in iMovie, if I press r, drag over a portion of the audio then adjust the level, I get a similar indication of lowered volume - but it's actually lowered.

Compare that to the almost identical visual indication of lowered audio level in the green waveform that occurs merely by dragging the visual track?

Maybe I'm just not familiar with how iMovie does things, just seems odd.

Audio waveform changes while adjusting video/image length?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.