Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

X and y values in Numbers charting.

Apple's guidance seems to ignore that x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable. Or am I just confused?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 4:13 PM

"Dependent variable" and "independent variable" are not important. You can chart X and Y points that are totally independent of each other or totally random. You can plot data where y=f(x) or where x=f(y). It really doesn't matter.

One thing to know, though is that the only true X-Y chart is the scatter chart. All the others are "category" charts, including the line chart. With category charts, the X data is text (even if it is numeric) and it is evenly distributed across the X axis in the order it is found in the table. The X axis could go 0, 1, -3, 50,20, ... or A, B, F, E, ... or 1, three, blue, 4, ... or whatever else you can imagine. Numeric X data is often evenly spaced in the table anyway so a line chart works out fine (unless you want a trend line equation).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2024 4:13 PM in response to GLORY6

"Dependent variable" and "independent variable" are not important. You can chart X and Y points that are totally independent of each other or totally random. You can plot data where y=f(x) or where x=f(y). It really doesn't matter.

One thing to know, though is that the only true X-Y chart is the scatter chart. All the others are "category" charts, including the line chart. With category charts, the X data is text (even if it is numeric) and it is evenly distributed across the X axis in the order it is found in the table. The X axis could go 0, 1, -3, 50,20, ... or A, B, F, E, ... or 1, three, blue, 4, ... or whatever else you can imagine. Numeric X data is often evenly spaced in the table anyway so a line chart works out fine (unless you want a trend line equation).

Apr 23, 2024 1:07 AM in response to GLORY6

If making any of the "category" charts, it is easiest if the x data is in the header column. The y data should not be in a header column.

If making a scatter chart, it is easiest if all data (x and y) is in regular columns, not header columns.

The same applies to charting rows of data vs columns.

"Easiest" means this is what Numbers wants and it will make the chart you want without much fuss. If you do something else, making a chart will require extra steps to reference the correct columns.

Apr 22, 2024 6:52 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks for your help. Point is I’m trying to use x as a dependent variable — call it “satisfaction” and the y columns (one at a time) as independent variables, call them “moisture” or “price” or “color.” So it does matter to me which columns x data and y data go into. And I have 5 years of data.

X and y values in Numbers charting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.