Mac Desktop 2015 USB and thunderbolt drives not seen in finder or disk util HELP

In trying to fix a problem I have made things worse. Let me explain

was running monteray and out of the blue I lost any drive/usb key/ memory card also my thunderbolt drive disappeared.Not seen in finder or listed in disk utility. Also not listed in Terminal.

My mac was at most recent os allowed.

I thought if I could erase my internal drive and do a clean instal might help.

Disk Utility would not let me erase disc when trying an internet rrecovery.

Found a patcher which allowed me to upgrade to OS Sonoma.

So frustrated cos now my mac is as slow as a week in the jail and still no external drives shown.

I tried resetting Pram smc.

Weird in the about mac report it shows all the devices attached and working ok.

I have spent hours trying all the different ways to erase disk and find a wayto see my attached devices in finder. Ive tried ticking/unticking box for external drives also.

Any help greatly appreciated before I throw it out if the window

Brian

iMac 27″

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 2:54 AM

How is your drive connected to your computer, through a docking station or directly? Can you see the drives if you boot into macOS recovery mode?

What model is your drive? Can you show screenshots from Disk Utility and System Information?

5 replies

Apr 27, 2024 6:15 AM in response to Brido154

Brido154 wrote:

I thought if I could erase my internal drive and do a clean instal might help.

It would not.

Found a patcher which allowed me to upgrade to OS Sonoma.

That would be an extremely bad idea.

Any help greatly appreciated before I throw it out if the window

That might be the correct action in this case. How old is that computer? Perhaps it has simply failed. I recommend either starting a new thread about specific problems and/or updating this thread with more details about your computer. Do not try to upgrade to Sonoma. Do not try any "fixes" you might find on the internet. The internet isn't true.

Mac Desktop 2015 USB and thunderbolt drives not seen in finder or disk util HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.