My older Firefox history has vanished

I was looking for an item that would be a couple of years back in my history, only to discover that my history now only goes back a year and 3 months… exactly, as of yesterday, I don't know if that's meaningful.

Does anyone have any idea what might've happened, and how I can restore the rest of my history? Thank you!

I'm using Firefox version 115.8. I haven't added, removed, updated or changed anything on my computer recently.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 7:19 PM

13 replies

Apr 28, 2024 8:29 AM in response to ImaSoCalGal

Oh, sorry...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Firefox/ProfilesBigLong Number.default-release-2/places.sqlite

Get Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Hold Option or alt key when selecting Find to Find All.

More info on it...

https://docs.nxlog.co/integrate/browser-history.html#:~:text=Mozilla%20Firefox%20history%20is%20stored,%5CProfiles%5C

Apr 24, 2024 6:31 AM in response to BDAqua

I don't think it's possible to ACCIDENTALLY hit Shift + ⌘ + Delete, lol... And according to the page I looked it up on, that empties the trash, which I don't think affects history. I don't think anything I could've done that long ago would be like a time bomb suddenly going off now, either…? I DO have Time Machine Backup, but it doesn't back up browser history, just files.

Apr 24, 2024 6:52 AM in response to ImaSoCalGal

Firefox stores your history and bookmarks together in a database file named places.sqlite which is in your profile folder.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[SomeNumber].default-release-2/places.sqlite

(1) Access the Firefox profile folder as described above and click to have it open in Finder. (2) Close Firefox application. (3) While having the Firefox profile folder open in Finder, open Time Machine from the menu bar at the top of the Mac screen. (4) The Finder folder will then be displayed for all previous updates. Select the most recent update (or the update that would contain your browsing history), select the profile folder, and then click restore. (5) Exit Time Machine.

Apr 28, 2024 6:14 AM in response to BDAqua

That stuff is WAY beyond my technical knowledge and abilities, and I have no idea how anything there would apply to my situation. Given the size of the history file that someone in another forum talked me through locating, it looks like the old history exists in the system somewhere… Even if I had to access it somewhere other than the normal way, it would really help to still have it…

My older Firefox history has vanished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.