Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Mail changes send address

When sending mail, Mail changes the send address from mail box used, sending from, to other mail box addresses. Apple Mail also does not reply to all. It will only reply to the senders address.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 7:49 PM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2024 7:18 AM in response to doghouse20

The 'best account' setting tries to choose the sender address depending on who you are sending to.

This can cause unexpected results.

You should probably pick one of your addresses as default - presumably, the one you use most - and change when appropriate. You are NOT forced to use a specific address when sending, just select from the popup.

On the other question: what happens when you try reply to all?

Apr 23, 2024 9:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Replying to all only includes the original sender address. Same result as if a simple reply. This is a recent problem that started the past few days. Interestingly, This seems to only happen with addresses related to my ISP mail. The icloud email reply to all works correctly. Why would the ISP matter? Isn't the reply function within the Apple Mail program?

re: my reply email address

Picking one of my addresses as default for all my email alias responses defeats an important reason for having multiple mailbox addresses. If facing identity theft related to a particular alias, which I have, I can delete that mail address. If all my replies uses the same address adds that address to the risk; and the problem of cleaning up the mess. This problem has existed from some time. It just is getting worse

Interestingly, having VPN on is causing problems sending mail. Sometimes it doesn't matter. Most of the time lately it does. If the sent mail is stuck in the outbox, shutting off VPN typically frees it and out it goes. Not sure why that should matter. If it does, why not always matter and only sometimes?

Apr 23, 2024 10:01 AM in response to doghouse20

When you send an email, you want to be able to select the sending address. I get that. And you CAN.

You cannot send without a sending address. The automatic setting can and does cause that sending address to change under your nose - that is a problem.

If you choose one default address, you regain control.

Important Notes:

1) You are NOT forced to use that address.

Press Command-N to start a message, and you can use the From popup to choose any of your addresses.

This is what you wanted. How else would it work, anyway? You can't have an empty "From"

2) The above DOES NOT affect a reply. Replies will come from whichever account the message was addressed to. So suppose you set Account A as default; a message is received for Account B; a reply to that message will have Account B as "From".

Apple Mail changes send address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.