Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What happened to superscript???

Used to be, I could simply superscript or subscript using the Character Map, which seems to not have any of that in the Character Viewer.

Used to be there were a series of keys one could use to convert a letter or number into superscript or subscript. I'm trying to set up footnote references in a document I'm compiling, and now I can see it has been too long since I've done this. The command, shift, control and + does absolutely nothing, and I'm sick of searching for the solution. Perhaps someone here can enlighten me?

Using Word for Mac on a MacBook Pro, late 2013, with OSX 11.7.10.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 6:28 AM

The keyboard shortcuts in Word 16.84 (Office 2021 for Mac) on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1:

⇧⌘+ superscript

⇧⌘- subscript

To reverse the effect, issue the same keyboard shortcut again. These shortcuts are not listed in Microsoft's Official Keyboard Shortcuts for MS Word on Mac for Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 for Mac.

Alternatively, one can select Home on the Word menu and the symbolic subscript and superscript buttons are located there beneath the Font and Font size selection.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2024 6:28 AM in response to CharmaineKeller

The keyboard shortcuts in Word 16.84 (Office 2021 for Mac) on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1:

⇧⌘+ superscript

⇧⌘- subscript

To reverse the effect, issue the same keyboard shortcut again. These shortcuts are not listed in Microsoft's Official Keyboard Shortcuts for MS Word on Mac for Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 for Mac.

Alternatively, one can select Home on the Word menu and the symbolic subscript and superscript buttons are located there beneath the Font and Font size selection.

Apr 23, 2024 2:33 AM in response to CharmaineKeller

Select the text or number that you want. For superscript, press Ctrl, Shift, and the Plus sign (+) at the same time. For subscript, press Ctrl and the Equal sign (=) at the same time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/format-text-as-superscript-or-subscript-in-word-507cdffd-8169-4872-96ec-909ea5888dc6#:~:text=Select%20the%20text%20or%20number%20that%20you%20want.,(%3D)%20at%20the%20same%20time.

What happened to superscript???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.