Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to force my MacBook scan for PEOPLE please?

I have restarted the MacBook I have and waited for 4 days to scan the pictures, but it still shows 0 photos scanned.

when I see the

Is it because I have too many photos or something else?

The CPU usage for "photoanalysisd" is 0 all the time, I suppose the data should be more than 40% if it works, right?

How to force the Photo App to scan for people please?

To give you more info, I have attached the details of the App and my MacOS below.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 10:41 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 23, 2024 11:46 AM in response to dawei192

Scanning more than 100000 photos may take more than a month.

Let your Mac Book run day and night. The message "0 photos scanned" may not be accurate. When my Mac has been running Monterey, Photos has not been updating the status messages continually. The count for scanned photos seemed to be stuck on "0" and jumped then to finished after more than a week.

Where is your large Photos Library stored? Are you keeping it in your Pictures folder on the internal drive or on an external volume? If you are using anexternalvolume, you may want to check if it is formatted correctly (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) . The drive needs a wired connection, not a network connection.

You may also want to check if all media files in your library are in a supported format. Videos or photos in a legacy format could cause the background processes to hang.

Apr 23, 2024 11:17 AM in response to dawei192

Try this, i.e. priming the pump:

1 - pick a few photos with a variety of people in them that you want to identify and open the full sized view.

2 - bring up the Info pane for that photo and click on the Add Faces button.

3 - place the circle over the person you want to have in the People view and enter their name.

4 - after doing that for a number of people put Photos in the background (do not close or sleep the Mac) and then check the photoanalysisd process in Activity Monitor to see if it's started scanning for faces.

How to force my MacBook scan for PEOPLE please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.