Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I find my passkey

Today, one of my online accounts has stopped requesting my password and now asks me "Do you want to sign in with your passkey, google or Apple ID?" I find this deeply worrying as I've never set up a passkey and never logon with my Google account or Apple ID. I clicked to log on with my passkey (whatever that is) and much to my surprise, the account opened. I understand that the passkey is automatically generated on my computer but how do I login to my account when I'm travelling and want to logon with my iPad? Will I be excluded from my account until I return home to my Mac mini? Furthermore what is the point in asking if I want to logon with Google or Apple ID? How do Google and Apple know my login details? I've never disclosed my passwords to them and feel my security has been compromised. Also do I need to know my passkey if I want to log in? As I didn't set it up I've no idea what it is. I would much rather use a different password for every account so that accounts are available to me at whatever location. Could someone please answer my various points as I feel that if I've got to use a "passkey" or Google or Apple ID I'll either end up without being able to log on, if away from home or with my security compromised. None of the topics listed refer to my queries

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 2:37 AM

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 7:35 AM in response to CONFUSEDOAP

Most accounts, like those provided by Google, Microsoft, and Apple, now require two-factor authentication (2FA) in order to successfully log into them. Earlier, when you enabled 2FA on these accounts, you were provided the option to receive a verification code (a number of digits) via either an email or text message to be used as a second security factor after entering your user credentials (username & password).

Recently, a number of these accounts now employ the use of passkeys instead of you having to enter your user credentials and a verification code. The Apple Support article I have referenced below provides more details on what passkeys are all about.

Regardless of the account, they are NOT generated automatically. You would have to interact with their creation before they can be used. Once created they are stored on your device. By design, you don’t have to enroll a passkey manually on every device you use. As the FIDO Alliance describes it, “When a user creates a passkey on any of their devices, it gets synced to all the user’s other devices running the same OS platform which are also signed into the same user’s platform account.” This works, for example, on Google accounts for Android and ChromeOS; Microsoft accounts for Windows; Apple ID for iOS and MacOS; and so forth.

When a site offers you with the option to log in by other means, like your Google or Apple user accounts, they are providing you with alternate methods of logging in should you not have a passkey for that site.

Ref:

How do I find my passkey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.