Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I Edit Photos in an Old iMovie?

I suspect that I already know the answer to my question. I have a slideshow that was created in iMovie in 2007. I would like to edit some of the photos in the movie. However, the movie was created 17 years ago & I no longer have the version of iMovie that created it. Is there a way to extract the individual photos for post-processing? If so, I could then re-create the movie using another slideshow app. Thank you so much.

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 7:07 AM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2024 10:36 AM in response to kitjv

Hi,

I assume that you have saved the old iMovie project but no longer have the old iMovie app with which open it. Correct? If so, Control-click on the project's icon and then click on the Show Package Contents item in the pop-up menu. That will reveal something like this:

Click on the Media item as shown above and that will open to display the media that is contained in the project. Copy, not move, the media files to your desktop. From there you can do whatever you want with it.

-- Rich

Apr 24, 2024 6:49 AM in response to kitjv

Rich,

I attached the screenshot below. However, when I looked at Get Info, I saw that it was a QuickTime movie. Since this slideshow was created 17 years ago, I cannot recall the details. But is it possible that the slideshow was originally created with iMovie & then converted into QuickTime? And if so, is it still possible to extract the individual photos for editing?

Apr 24, 2024 7:52 AM in response to kitjv

Yes, it appears that after finishing the iMovie 6 project you exported it out as a QuickTime movie.

You can open the movie in QuickTimePlayer and, scrolling through the movie you can stop at each photo and

take a screen shot of it. Do Command-Shift-4 and drag select with your cursor to outline the photo, and when you release your track pad or mouse a picture will be taken that will appear on your desktop.

Or, you can open the movie with the free download, VLC, and do a Video/Snapshot of any photo in the movie, and a picture of it will appear in the Pictures folder on your Mac. You can obtain the free VLC download here:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

However, if you have the actual iMovie 6 project icon on your Mac, you also can try extracting the photos from the project via the Show Package Contents method that I described in my earlier post.

-- Rich

Apr 24, 2024 12:17 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Hi, Keith,

I don’t think that the resolution would be significantly lower. At least, my eye doesn’t notice it. The OP intends to put the edited images in a slide show, not display them as hardcopy still images. So resolution is not that important. The resolution would not be very high exported out of iMovie anyway.

But I guess the OP can deside whether the resolution is suitable for the purpose.

— Rich

Can I Edit Photos in an Old iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.