Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Updates

when is apple going to stop updating the iPad Air 2 ????

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 2:08 PM

3 replies

Apr 23, 2024 2:20 PM in response to Swiss_chesse56

The Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.8.x; the Air2 does not support iPadOS 16 or later.

While the Air2 may receive an occasional point-update, as for how long these might continue is known only to Apple. Insofar as major version updates are concerned, these have already ceased.

History demonstrates that Apple generally provides system software updates five to seven years from initial release of an iPad model. The Air2 has already surpassed this period.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.8.2

iPad5, iPad Pro (9.7"/12.9" first generation) - iPadOS 16.7.7

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version - iPadOS 17.4.1

• iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 10.5"
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Apr 23, 2024 3:00 PM in response to Esap1944

Esap1944 wrote:

how long will my ipad 7th gen be updated? i’m now on 17.4.1, and my ipad works great.
thank you

Apple does not pre-announce end-of support for its products. As such, you can only speculate.

For the most part, history to date demonstrates that you might reasonably anticipate five to seven years of mainstream update and hardware support. The iPad7 was released September 2019.

Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.