Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Fake (?) alert notifications from REELINGS.COM ?

I began getting alerts sayings "your disk is infected with a Trojan", "your iCLOUD is being hacked" etc. Some of them purported to come from SAFARI, others from GMAIL. I don't use GMAIL and it has never been installed on this MacBook AIR. The "alerts" encouraged me to do a full disk scan by clicking on a button they provided - I refrained. All of the alerts alluded to "reelings.com" - when I checked my notifications settings, I found a NEW entry entitled "REELINGS.COM" which was set to ON. I disabled it.

I also tried looking through the running processes but there are now so many "helpers" that this proved fruitless.

1) Has anyone else encountered this ?

2) Is it as fake as I've concluded ?

3) How best to disable ? Expunge ?

I'm running the latest version of Sonoma (14.4.1) and have SOPHOS AV active (FWIW).

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:45 AM

ORNENT wrote:

When you say “better to turn them off entirely”, what do you mean ?

Make sure that "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" is not checked, like so:

At some point in the past, the default was to be "unchecked". Years ago, there was a rash of apps using the notification system to spam users. I put a lot of work into EtreCheck to detect that. I know that these same spam messages could also be delivered via Safari, but it wasn't a problem back then because this setting was turned off by default.

But at some point since then, the default setting seems to have changed. I know because it got turned on with some of my newer computer and I definitely would have never turned that on.

If there was one particular web site that was honest and reliable and someone really, really wanted that site to send them notifications, they could temporarily turn this setting on just to setup notifications from that site and then turn it off again.

Apple does not provide AV software.

The Mac already includes multiple layers of protection from malicious software built-in to the operating system.

Are you saying that it is better to have no AV software whatsoever?

Definitely. Pound for pound, 3rd party antivirus software causes far more problems than malware itself.

In fact, the only way to get malware onto a Mac is for the user to install it, on purpose. They are tricked into installing it when they try to install pirated expensive apps or try to access paid video streams like movies or sporting events for free. But in order to this, they must bypass all of those built-in security protections.

People do this because the same people who tell users they need 3rd party protection also tell them that they can't trust Apple's built-in protection. So they turn off the built-in protections, get malware installed, and then they need to purchase expensive 3rd party antivirus apps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2024 8:45 AM in response to ORNENT

ORNENT wrote:

When you say “better to turn them off entirely”, what do you mean ?

Make sure that "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" is not checked, like so:

At some point in the past, the default was to be "unchecked". Years ago, there was a rash of apps using the notification system to spam users. I put a lot of work into EtreCheck to detect that. I know that these same spam messages could also be delivered via Safari, but it wasn't a problem back then because this setting was turned off by default.

But at some point since then, the default setting seems to have changed. I know because it got turned on with some of my newer computer and I definitely would have never turned that on.

If there was one particular web site that was honest and reliable and someone really, really wanted that site to send them notifications, they could temporarily turn this setting on just to setup notifications from that site and then turn it off again.

Apple does not provide AV software.

The Mac already includes multiple layers of protection from malicious software built-in to the operating system.

Are you saying that it is better to have no AV software whatsoever?

Definitely. Pound for pound, 3rd party antivirus software causes far more problems than malware itself.

In fact, the only way to get malware onto a Mac is for the user to install it, on purpose. They are tricked into installing it when they try to install pirated expensive apps or try to access paid video streams like movies or sporting events for free. But in order to this, they must bypass all of those built-in security protections.

People do this because the same people who tell users they need 3rd party protection also tell them that they can't trust Apple's built-in protection. So they turn off the built-in protections, get malware installed, and then they need to purchase expensive 3rd party antivirus apps.

Apr 23, 2024 4:48 PM in response to ORNENT

ORNENT wrote:

when I checked my notifications settings, I found a NEW entry entitled "REELINGS.COM" which was set to ON. I disabled it.

That should fix it for that one site. You should really turn those off altogether.

1) Has anyone else encountered this ?

Yes. It's very common.

2) Is it as fake as I've concluded ?

Well, it's on the internet, isn't it? Then it's most definitely fake.

3) How best to disable ? Expunge ?

You've already done that. Make sure to set it so that no web sites can do this in the future. You might need to periodically check this setting. At some point, Apple changed the default to make it easier to send these notifications. I can't say for sure, but I think Apple may have even re-enabled it after a recent upgrade. So if you get any of these in the future, double-check those settings. They may have changed.

(FWIW).

How much is it worth?

Apr 24, 2024 7:56 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

@idrisSeabright. Thank you for the article.

Reading it, I vacillate between 2 feelings that it induces

1) I’m listening to a sophomore called “Captain Obvious”

2) I’m being preached at with a certain (outdated) sanctimoniousness

but the link and the earlier response helped me find some useful resources.

I stand corrected.

Fake (?) alert notifications from REELINGS.COM ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.