Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Double click to open email

I am having a problem with my mail and I don't know if I clicked something off.. but when i highlight the message, it doesn't open. I have to click again to get it to open to make the blue dot go away. How can this be fixed. I looked in settings but I don't know where to change this

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 3:47 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2024 8:25 AM in response to tytbody

One possible explanation for this behavior could be related to the settings within the Mail app itself. It's possible that a setting may have been inadvertently changed, causing emails to behave differently than usual.

To address this issue, you can start by checking the preferences settings within the Mail app. Specifically, look for settings related to message handling or message preview. There might be an option that controls whether emails open with a single click or require a double-click to open. Adjusting this setting to your preference should resolve the issue.

If you're unable to locate the specific setting causing the problem, you can also try resetting the Mail app to its default settings. This can often resolve issues related to unexpected behavior. To do this, you can go to the "Preferences" menu in the Mail app and look for an option to reset or restore default settings.

If the issue persists despite these steps, it may be worth reaching out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized support and may be able to offer additional guidance or troubleshooting steps tailored to your situation.

Apr 25, 2024 7:12 AM in response to Sebastien Boisvert

Not that i have remember. It started with some update or something. I was just click on the mail i wanted to read. But it would not open. I had to clcick click to get it to open and then it would not make the dot. Go away. I used to be able to click it open and it was marked as read. Now it’s infuriating to use. Should i just use the mail on the gmail mail site ?

Double click to open email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.