Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

External Aux microphone records but no playback without unplugging it

1. I have a microphone with an Aux output. I plugged that output into an Apple Aux-Lightning adapter and into my iphone 13 mini. The microphone records, but when I play back sound or video, no sound comes out. If I unplug the Microphone Aux from the adapter, sound comes out. This microphone takes a AA battery. With or without the battery, it behave the same: records fine; no output. Same behavior whether the microphone is turned on or off. In iphone Settings I see that microphone registers as headphones.
  2. I also have an old microphone with a USB output. I plugged that into a generic USB - Lightning adapter and into my iphone 13 mini. The microphone records, and when I play back sound, sound comes out. This microphone has no on/off switch.

I have read that ios17 eliminated USB support for lightning. That is not the problem, nor is it true: the USB microphone works fine.

Microphone 2 (the old USB microphone) is not practical for my current project. I need to record sound with microphone 1, then play the sound back immediately, without unplugging the microphone from the adapter. How do I do that?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 5:17 PM

There are no replies.

External Aux microphone records but no playback without unplugging it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.