Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

2015 MacBook Pro A1502 vs A1398 Wifi Cards

Hello all!

I'm upgrading my early 2013 MacBook Pro 15" with a newer wifi card from the 2015 MacBooks. From my understanding, 2015 was the last model series with a swappable card. I'm having trouble identifying the A1502 card from the better A1398 card that's in the 2015 Macs. One is bluetooth 4.0 while the other is 4.2. All the cards I see quote both model numbers but don't clarify exactly what model the card was pulled from. Does anyone know the model number of the 2015 card itself?

I also read a listing that does specifically state that the card is from model A1398 but it says that that card can ONLY be used on 2015 Macs... I don't see why that would be the case. can anyone confirm?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 6:40 PM

8 replies

Apr 24, 2024 11:53 AM in response to tabosko

tabosko wrote:

Hello all!

I'm upgrading my early 2013 MacBook Pro 15" with a newer wifi card from the 2015 MacBooks. From my understanding, 2015 was the last model series with a swappable card. I'm having trouble identifying the A1502 card from the better A1398 card that's in the 2015 Macs. One is bluetooth 4.0 while the other is 4.2. All the cards I see quote both model numbers but don't clarify exactly what model the card was pulled from. Does anyone know the model number of the 2015 card itself?

I also read a listing that does specifically state that the card is from model A1398 but it says that that card can ONLY be used on 2015 Macs... I don't see why that would be the case. can anyone confirm?

you can do your own research

ifixit

techrestore

dttservice

powerbookmedic

beetstech

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

Apr 24, 2024 4:17 PM in response to tabosko

Ive already done the research hence the question. Again the issue is since these cards can be used in either laptop, no one clarifies exactly what the card is they are selling. they are only listing what models the card can be used in. I'm looking for a specific card so I need the identifiers of that card.

For instance lets take one of your sources.. Powerbook media..

They have a card listed as part 661-02363 and states this card is for the early/mid 2015 MacBook Pro. The issue with this is the early and mid 2015 MacBooks have different cards. the early 2015 has 4.0 bluetooth while the mid has 4.2. and this is the issue I'm running into. vendors are quoting one card that overs a range just cause they can go in those laptops. but the card isn't the same card that was OEM in the laptop.

Apr 24, 2024 4:39 PM in response to tabosko

I have good luck doing a web search on the Apple part numbers.

Sometimes pictures come up as well, and its long as you don't bet everything on that being the correct picture, you can learn more about what numbers might be appropriate.

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-13-Retina-Wireless-Airport---BT-Card-Early-2015-p-81103.html

Apr 25, 2024 9:00 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

I have good luck doing a web search on the Apple part numbers.

Sometimes pictures come up as well, and its long as you don't bet everything on that being the correct picture, you can learn more about what numbers might be appropriate.

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-13-Retina-Wireless-Airport---BT-Card-Early-2015-p-81103.html

Yes this is the card I keep running into. Like most sellers, they are promoting this as a early to mid 2015 card but the early and mid 2015 MacBook pros do not have the same card. The early 2015 MacBooks have bluetooth 4.0 while the mid 2015 MacBooks have 4.2 and that's confirmed by apple. So this can't be the same card unless the bluetooth modules are on the logic board on the mid 2015.

2015 MacBook Pro A1502 vs A1398 Wifi Cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.