Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do you disable the passcode for iPad

I’m tired of when I turn off my iPad. It shows *enter password* can you give me a tutorial of how to turn it off?

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 8:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 1:47 AM in response to Carterlion13

Much of your iPad’s advanced functionality simply won’t work unless a Passcode is set - such as TouchID/FaceID and Keychain stored passwords. Fully turning-off the Passcode will inhibit significant functionality.

If you don't wish to be bothered by frequent re-entry of your iPad passcode, simply disable the Auto-Lock function:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock - select Never

As documented by Apple in its Security Guide, for devices with TouchID or FaceID enabled, be aware that your device Passcode is reportedly required in the following circumstances…

A passcode or password is also required if the device is in any of the following states:

• The device has just been turned on or restarted

• The user has logged out of their Mac account (or hasn’t yet logged in).

• The user hasn’t unlocked their device for more than 48 hours.

• The user hasn’t used their passcode or password to unlock their device for 156 hours (six and a half days), and the user hasn’t used a biometric to unlock their device in

4 hours.

• The device has received a remote lock command

• The user exited power off / Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously for 2 seconds and then pressing Cancel.

• There were five unsuccessful biometric match attempts (though for usability, the device might offer entering a passcode or password instead of using biometrics after a smaller number of failures).

When Face ID with a mask is enabled on an iPhone, it’s available for the next 6.5 hours after one of the following user actions:

• Successful Face ID match attempt (with or without a mask)

• Device passcode validation

• Device unlock with Apple Watch

Any of these actions extends the period by an additional 6.5 hours when performed.

If you really do wish to fully disable the iPad Passcode (not recommended), accepting that functionality will be limited, from iPad settings:

Settings > TouchID | FaceID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off

How do you disable the passcode for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.