Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Remove cellular carrier from iPad 12.9 2nd Gen

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen. It has no SIM card, and I have done a complete re-set removing all apps and data. Yet Settings > General > About > Carrier still says "AT&T 58.0".

I really don't want to ask AT&T about this, as I've never been a customer and they are known to be unresponsive to issues like this.

Is there any way to really and truly return the iPad to its pristine unlocked status? I'd be very grateful.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 9:10 PM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2024 1:38 AM in response to runbei

The AT&T 58.0 entry refers to the carrier-installed Carrier Settings file - this being automatically installed if/when an AT&T Cellular plan was activated on your device.

The Carrier Settings file is automatically replaced if you activate a Cellular plan with a different Cellular Provider.

If you don't have an active Cellular plan, the presence of Carrier Settings is entirely benign - as the file has absolutely no impact upon the functioning of your iPad. You should note that this file is not replaced during a factory reset/restore.

Remove cellular carrier from iPad 12.9 2nd Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.