Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

2014 Mac Mini - 4TB SSD & other upgrade options

Hi all,

I’ve read through some other threads about this, but they’re all a few years old (at least), and I was wondering if there was any new intel/advice on the matter.

I have a late 2014 Mac mini used primarily for music library, photos storage and occasional web browsing. It has a 2TB Fusion Drive that is almost filled up (about 10gb available), and I imagine as a result, has gotten extremely slow in recent months. It takes forever to open the Photos library, and sluggish with the Music app as well. Just booting it up can be a dicey affair sometimes.

Assuming it’s even possible, would swapping out the Fusion Drive with a 4TB SSD solve both my speed issue and the upcoming need for more space? Are there other upgrades I could make as well? The full specs are: Processor: 2.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Memory: 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB, Storage: 2.12 Fusion Drive

FWIW, I would likely find an experience Mac technician to actually do this for me. I used to be able to work on these machines, but that’s when they were much easier to do so. I’d rather pay someone who knows what they’re doing than likely screw it up attempting it myself. But before I source parts, etc, I thought I’d check in here to see if this is a fool’s errand. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 10:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:10 AM

You can swap out your Fusion Drive for an SSD. Check out a good guide on how to do it here: iFixit guide for replacing a Mac mini Late 2014 Hard Drive

I'd also recommend cleaning the fans and replacing the thermal paste, as they're probably not in the best shape after 10 years.

7 replies

Apr 23, 2024 11:05 PM in response to MattHayes

MattHayes Said:

"2014 Mac Mini - 4TB SSD & other upgrade options: [...]Assuming it’s even possible, would swapping out the Fusion Drive with a 4TB SSD solve both my speed issue and the upcoming need for more space?[...]"

-------

Upgrading an Internet Hard Drive on a 2014 Mac:

You can't. In 2014 Mac, all is soldered int the LogicBoard, meaning it is all intended to operate as one device. So, no matter who tries, upgrading the hard drive is just not an option.

Clear [lots of] Space. Read the following...

Clearing Space on a Mac:

Mac Storage:

Try clearing internal storage. Do so, though use of the following:

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Manage Cookies and Website Data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also...

C.See these Links:

Apr 24, 2024 11:31 AM in response to MattHayes

...also, replacing a HDD in a mini is not like the macbook 2012. I underevaluated the work when I did that on my 2011 and damaged a connector, even though I had an excellent guide... Fortunately, I found a shop that was able to do fix the issue for about $60 and the mini lasted another 6-7 years while the Apple Store had condemned it (suggesting the entire board replacement which was almost equivalent to buying a new computer...)

As you stated you know someone, don't play cowboy and let someone with proper equipment do it.

IMHO: I would not throw more than a $200 on a 2014 mini. For the stuff you mention, just use external drives.

Apr 23, 2024 11:08 PM in response to MattHayes

MattHayes Said:

"2014 Mac Mini - 4TB SSD & other upgrade options: [...]Assuming it’s even possible, would swapping out the Fusion Drive with a 4TB SSD solve both my speed issue and the upcoming need for more space?[...]"

-------

See About Clearing Caches:

You would backup your Mac to an external hard drive, and then restore your Mac from the backup you've just created.

2014 Mac Mini - 4TB SSD & other upgrade options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.