Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What's the best duplicate file finder for Mac?

I'm currently using a Mac and I've noticed that over time, my files have become quite disorganized, leading to multiple duplicates scattered across various folders. This has not only cluttered my storage space but also made it challenging to locate and manage files efficiently. I'm in need of a reliable duplicate file finder for Mac that can help me identify and remove duplicate files effectively. I've searched online and found numerous options available, but I'm unsure which one would be the best duplicate file finder for Mac.

I'm looking for recommendations and insights from fellow Mac users who have experience with duplicate file finders to help me choose the most suitable one to streamline my file management process.

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 12:11 AM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 3:24 AM in response to Fanrkliiy

I feel your pain on the whole duplicate files situation—it can really clutter up your space! I don't use a Mac myself, but I've helped friends handle this exact problem before, and I've heard a lot about what works well. From what I gather, TunesBro CleanGeeker is a standout favorite for many Mac users, it's also a best duplicate file finder. It's pretty user-friendly, and it visually shows you what's been found so you can decide what to delete and what to keep. It also has a safety feature that ensures you don't delete anything important by mistake, which can be super helpful.

Another one that comes up a lot is DupeGuru. It's a bit more on the technical side, but it's great because it works not just on Macs but on Windows and Linux too. This might not matter much if you're all-in on Apple, but it's nice to have options. DupeGuru is also open source, so if you're into that kind of thing, it's a plus.

Lastly, many users like the simplicity of CCleaner, which is known more for general cleaning but also includes a decent duplicate finder. It's not as robust as Gemini 2 or DupeGuru, but for a quick clean-up, it does the trick.

Apr 24, 2024 3:45 AM in response to Fanrkliiy

In fact, the built-in Terminal app can be acted as a good duplicate file finder on Mac.You can use the following commands in Terminal to find and remove duplicate files on your Mac:

1. First, open Terminal from Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

2. To find duplicate files, run the following command:

find . -type f ! -empty -exec cksum {} + | sort | tee /tmp/f.tmp | cut -d ' ' -f 1,2 | uniq -d | grep -hif - /tmp/f.tmp

3. This command will list all the duplicate files and their locations in the terminal window.

4. If you want to remove the duplicate files, you can use the following command:

find . -type f ! -empty -exec cksum {} + | sort | tee /tmp/f.tmp | cut -d ' ' -f 1,2 | uniq -d | grep -hif - /tmp/f.tmp | cut -d ' ' -f 3-999 | xargs rm

This command will delete all the duplicate files.

Note: Please be cautious when using the rm command as you could potentially delete important files. Make sure to review the list of duplicate files before running the command to remove them.

What's the best duplicate file finder for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.