Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Air Lock Screen locked

I can not remember my code to unlock my Mac. I know have to wait 3 hours to try again. I tried iCloud.com/ find but when I follow the steps to locate the device, there is no UNLOCK feature. What do I do?

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 2:54 AM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2024 1:35 PM in response to blkpurrl

blkpurrl wrote:

I can not remember my code to unlock my Mac. I know have to wait 3 hours to try again. I tried iCloud.com/ find but when I follow the steps to locate the device, there is no UNLOCK feature. What do I do?

Do you have a password hint or recovery key set? Both of these can be used to get back in.

If not, you can use your Apple ID to reset all the passwords on the device, including the admin one. See below:

If you can't reset your Mac login password - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2024 3:14 AM in response to blkpurrl

Don't worry, there are ways to regain access to your MacBook Air even if you can't try your password for a while. Here are your options:

1. Reset your password in macOS Recovery:
  2. This method lets you bypass the lock screen and set a new password for your account. Here's how:
    • Restart your MacBook Air.
    • Immediately press and hold Command (⌘) + R keys together until you see the Apple logo.
    • This will boot your Mac into macOS Recovery.
    • From the menu options, choose Utilities > Reset Password.
    • Select your user account from the list.
    • You can then reset your password by following the on-screen prompts.

1. Use another administrator account (if available):
  2. If you have another user account on your MacBook Air with administrator privileges, you can use that account to reset the password for your locked account. Here's how:
    • Restart your MacBook Air.
    • On the login screen, choose the administrator account.
    • Once logged in, navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
    • Click on "General" and then select "Unlock with login keychain".
    • Enter the administrator password.
    • Now, go back to System Preferences > Users & Groups.
    • Select your locked account and click "Reset Password".
    • Set a new password for your locked account.

Important Note: These methods require you to know the password for an administrator account on your MacBook Air. If you don't have another administrator account or forgot its password, you might need to erase your entire disk and reinstall macOS. This is a last resort, so try the password reset methods first.

MacBook Air Lock Screen locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.