A nice (and free) way of converting captions to titles

We often hear complaints about how captions do not allow customization.

Converting captions to titles is a way to allow for that customization.

The great Mark Spencer, of rippletraining, has just published a video that explains a simple, quick, and free way to convert captions to titles. I think this may help some. I will keep it in my bookmarks, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHbM9YsPSY

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:46 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2024 10:32 AM in response to terryb

um, yeah...

I guess a color solid is okay for captions/subtitles that are continuous, but what if they are more sporadic? If you're going to spend all that time blading the Solid, what's the point of using the converter script?

I would have thought Mark Spencer would have used a better way to add positioning and backgrounds to all the titles. I know he knows how.

An easier and faster way would be to create a Title in Motion that applies a (conforming) background to the text and a default position on the screen as well as default font and size (and possibly tracking) — call it "Basic Subtitle" —  then after applying all the captions turned to titles in a project, Select all the titles and double click on the Basic Subtitle title from the Title browser — the storyline titles will ALL be changed according to the Basic Subtitle defaults. Then find the long lines and add returns as necessary (the backgrounds should automatically conform).

I've made this title available free here: https://fcpxtemplates.com/sdm_downloads/basic-subtitle/

(PS - it took all of 2 minutes to make the original version — i.e., less time than it takes to mess with the solid color generator. The added published parameters came after some consideration for the end user's experience and the easiest way to deal with customizing.)

A nice (and free) way of converting captions to titles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.