Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Downloads Folder Vanished

My downloads folder has completely vanished from my finder and preview. This is very problematic as I have several documents I need for work on my Mac. Downloads is selected in the finder settings but still will not appear. I know the files still exist because they will appear in my recents folder, but if I try to upload anything to google drive it's as if they do not exist on my computer at all. This happened yesterday morning. I have also checked my trash several times but I know I did not delete it. Any help would be seriously appreciated. I would provide a screenshot but when I go to upload any type of file it acts as if they do not exist. I cannot access downloads, iCloud Drive, or documents even though they are ALL selected in finder. They have legit vanished.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 5:22 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 7:52 AM in response to kaela282

Given that you've already checked the Trash and confirmed that you didn't accidentally delete the Downloads folder, it's perplexing that it's gone missing. The fact that other folders like iCloud Drive and Documents are also affected suggests a broader issue.

One potential solution you could try is restarting your MacBook Air. Sometimes, a simple reboot can resolve minor glitches or temporary issues with file visibility. After restarting, check Finder again to see if the Downloads folder reappears.

If restarting doesn't work, you might want to try resetting Finder preferences. To do this, open Finder, then click on "Finder" in the menu bar, followed by "Preferences." In the Preferences window, go to the "Sidebar" tab and ensure that the box next to "Downloads" is checked. If it's already checked, you can try unchecking and then rechecking it to see if that triggers the Downloads folder to reappear.

If neither restarting nor resetting Finder preferences resolves the issue, it's possible that there may be a more significant underlying problem with your macOS installation. In that case, reaching out to Official Apple Support or visiting an Apple Store for assistance would be advisable. They can provide more advanced troubleshooting steps or help you restore the missing Downloads folder and files.

Downloads Folder Vanished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.