Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Referencing columns on cells by function

Help, thanks:

I have this cell that does a sum.plus.if

(I could solve my problem by inserting the IF function but it would be long, complex and not adaptable)

So, can I make sure that the values_to_be_summed and the_values_test, which are columns, are read on two prepared cells?

That is, from:

SUMIFS(Table 1::$Value;SUPPLIERS;"="&$B$8;Table 1::$Date;">="&$A$5;Table 1::$Date;"<=" &$A$6)

to:

SUMIFS(B14;C14;"="&$B$8;Table 1::$Data;">="&$A$5;Table 1::$Data;"<="&$A$6)

where in B14 and C14 I write the columns that interest me... but it gives me an error... but can it be done? Because I would put a pop-up menu in B14 and C14 that selects the desired columns.

I think I wrote nonsense, but could it be feasible?

(so as not to go crazy with the IF function and write a mountain of variables).

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 5:53 AM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2024 5:35 PM in response to G-Luca

Using the column letter also works.

The Numbers preference setting "Use header names as labels" makes formulas longer and harder to debug. I recommend turning it off. Using headers as labels makes it much harder to help here as well. "Valore (corpo)" could be the name of a column or it could be the single cell in column "Valore" and row "(corpo)". See the two screenshots below. You see two identical formulas visually but two completely different formulas in reality. The non-headers-as-labels versions are SUM(C) and SUM(B2) which are obviously different.

Apr 24, 2024 7:45 AM in response to G-Luca

You can use INDIRECT to create the range reference. I do not know what that function is named in your language. If you the file's language to English (File->Advanced->Language & Region), type in the function INDIRECT into a cell, then set it back to what it was, it will translate it for you.

If cell B14 contains the string/text Table 1::C

=INDIRECT(B14) will create a reference to range Table 1::C

Referencing columns on cells by function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.