Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

automatic on-off switching of natural scrolling when i plug into a docking station

Is there a way to automatically turn on/off the natural scrolling for when i plug into an external docking station. I am having to do it manually when I dock and undock.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:25 AM

In Windows 10, there isn't a built-in feature to automatically toggle natural scrolling on or off based on whether you're connected to an external docking station. However, you can achieve this functionality through third-party software or scripting.

One option is to use AutoHotkey, a scripting language for Windows automation. With AutoHotkey, you can create a script that detects when your laptop is docked or undocked and automatically toggles natural scrolling accordingly. You would need to write a script that monitors the connection status of your docking station and sends the appropriate keyboard shortcut to toggle natural scrolling.

Another option is to look for third-party software or utilities specifically designed to manage hardware profiles or settings based on connection status. While I can't recommend a specific software, there may be tools available that allow you to create profiles for different hardware configurations and automatically apply settings, such as natural scrolling preferences, when specific hardware is connected.

If you're comfortable with scripting or exploring third-party software options, you may be able to achieve the automatic toggling of natural scrolling based on docking status. However, please ensure that any software you download is reputable and trustworthy to avoid potential security risks. Additionally, it's a good idea to back up your system before making significant changes or installing new software.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2024 7:25 AM in response to beertroni

In Windows 10, there isn't a built-in feature to automatically toggle natural scrolling on or off based on whether you're connected to an external docking station. However, you can achieve this functionality through third-party software or scripting.

One option is to use AutoHotkey, a scripting language for Windows automation. With AutoHotkey, you can create a script that detects when your laptop is docked or undocked and automatically toggles natural scrolling accordingly. You would need to write a script that monitors the connection status of your docking station and sends the appropriate keyboard shortcut to toggle natural scrolling.

Another option is to look for third-party software or utilities specifically designed to manage hardware profiles or settings based on connection status. While I can't recommend a specific software, there may be tools available that allow you to create profiles for different hardware configurations and automatically apply settings, such as natural scrolling preferences, when specific hardware is connected.

If you're comfortable with scripting or exploring third-party software options, you may be able to achieve the automatic toggling of natural scrolling based on docking status. However, please ensure that any software you download is reputable and trustworthy to avoid potential security risks. Additionally, it's a good idea to back up your system before making significant changes or installing new software.

automatic on-off switching of natural scrolling when i plug into a docking station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.