Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Massive storage suck on Macbook Pro running Sonoma 14.4.1, 1TB internal storage 2.4GHz 8 core Intel i9

I know my machine is super old in computer land. My system data has ballooned to over half a terabyte. I've been trying to clear it out and I don't have access to the manage tools for some reason. I've booted up in safe mode, I've generated a backup of all my files on on external HD and done a TM back up on a clean 4TB drive for the time being, now how do I blast the system data storage? I'm guessing it's a bunch of old TM backups that saved on the internal drive, but I cannot get to any of it. THoughts?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:24 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 7:55 AM in response to Beibhinn77

Given that you've already taken some proactive steps by booting up in safe mode and generating backups of your files on an external hard drive, it's puzzling that you're unable to access the management tools to clear out the system data. It's possible that the large amount of system data could indeed be old Time Machine backups saved on the internal drive, but without access to the management tools, it's challenging to confirm or address this issue directly.

One approach you could try is using third-party disk cleaning software specifically designed for macOS. These tools can often identify and remove unnecessary system files, caches, and other data that may be taking up space on your internal drive. Popular options include CleanMyMac X, DaisyDisk, and Onyx. Be sure to download such software from reputable sources to avoid malware or other security risks.

If you're uncomfortable using third-party software or prefer a more hands-on approach, you could try manually deleting potentially large files or folders that you suspect may be contributing to the storage bloat. However, exercise caution when deleting system files, as removing critical files could potentially cause system instability or other issues.

If none of these approaches yield satisfactory results, it may be worth reaching out to Official Apple Support or visiting an Apple Store for further assistance. They can provide additional guidance or help you resolve the storage issue effectively.

Apr 24, 2024 9:14 AM in response to Beibhinn77

If you suspect old Time Machine backups,

see > About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

and > View APFS snapshots in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Instead of using the Manage tools and moving stuff to the Cloud or using third-party cleaners that can mess up your Mac.

I suggest using OmniDiskSweeper to look for what is using up large amounts of free space.

see > https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

Massive storage suck on Macbook Pro running Sonoma 14.4.1, 1TB internal storage 2.4GHz 8 core Intel i9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.