Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

TV Shows under wrong Genre

I have several TV shows downloaded that and ARE NOT marked under the info as a certain genre, this area is blank. They are all showing up under "Christmas" which the one's I DID mark under info are correct. The same one's are also showing under the Unknown genre title.

Also, when I plug my phone in to back it up/transfer from my mac to phone, the playlists are only showing the TV shows I've added, they don't show under TV shows so I can select certain ones episodes to put on my phone.

My computer is old, and running on MacOS Big Sur, version 11.7.10. The version of my AppleTV is 1.1.6.37.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:27 AM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2024 6:18 AM in response to ScottiAppleMac7

I have several TV shows downloaded that and ARE NOT marked under the info as a certain genre, this area is blank.

Is this about downloads from other sources than the iTunes Store? Movies and TV shows from Apple’s iTunes Store have one (1) genre, while other meta data sources often give content multiple genres for one title.

Your own downloads may require that the user adds genres.

iTunes Store content will have a predefined genre, which is not reliably editable by the user.

They are all showing up under "Christmas" which the one's I DID mark under info are correct. The same one's are also showing under the Unknown genre title.

“Christmas” is not really a genre as recognized by others. E.g. IMDb lists the genres for Home Alone (1990) as: Comedy, Family. Apple’s iTunes Store says just: Comedy.

Also, when I plug my phone in to back it up/transfer from my mac to phone, the playlists are only showing the TV shows I've added, they don't show under TV shows so I can select certain ones episodes to put on my phone.
My computer is old, and running on MacOS Big Sur, version 11.7.10. The version of my AppleTV is 1.1.6.37.

TV shows (which can be anything AV that is episodic) have special requirements for tagging in this context, for which the Apple TV app itself may not be the best tool. I would advise to use a third party tool for tagging, e.g. Subler. TV shows need to contain certain tags that might not be obvious. When properly tagged, the TV show will organize itself in seasons. No playlist needed.

Many of the possible tags are optional. Some are not shown in the Apple TV app anyway. Some are shown but not editable in the Apple TV app. The ‘Album’ tag is a peculiar one, as it seems necessary for season organization [“Show name, Season #”]. The ‘Name’ tag (‘Title’ tag in Apple TV app) should be used for the episode title, not the TV show.

TV Shows under wrong Genre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.