Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Pro (Late 2013) installer resources have expired and booting into safe mode shuts down the mac.

Hello i have recently been handed a bunch of old apple devices. Of of them being a Mac Pro (Late 2013) that gives me a screen that says

"mac os cannot be installed on your computer"

The installer resources have expired

quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

When i hit restart it just takes me back to this screen.

I attempted to boot into safe mode but when i do that i get pass the mac os sound and it loads halfway before abruptly shutting off. I am unsure where to go from here

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:31 AM

26 replies

Apr 24, 2024 10:19 AM in response to Activationlockisanightmare

These Macs are New-to-You?

Verifying their eligibility will be done with the Apple-ID recorded on the Mac. That is the Apple-ID of the previous owner. if you don't also have their Apple_ID password, you won't get far.

take a look at this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2024 7:51 AM in response to Activationlockisanightmare

MacOS is not copy-protected in the usual sense:

Apple software downloaded from the Mac App Store, including MacOS, is not copy protected. However, it IS tagged with the Apple-ID of the purchaser when "purchased" (or equivalent. Think of MacOS as purchased on sale for $0.) A valid Apple-ID is required for almost all downloads from the Mac App Store.

You cannot update, upgrade, or install new software based on already-installed software UNLESS you supply the Apple-ID of the original software.

If your old MacOS is damaged, or you completely erased your Mac, the Apple-ID is not available, and you get the “cannot contact the server…” message that should [but does not] go on to say, “…with the Apple-ID provided or NO Apple-ID”.

In that case, you invoke Recovery with:

Shift-Option-Command-R

You are requesting the "shipped-in-the-box" version, which is tagged ONLY with the serial number of your Mac, and does not require any Apple-ID to be already working on your Mac.

May 1, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Activationlockisanightmare

on that screen select the very TOP item,

Apple SSD SMO25...

and ERASE.

New format offered should be GUID partition scheme and MacOS extended (Journaled). choose a Name that you like or 'Macintosh HD'.

as I mentioned, 'MacOS Base System' (of size under about 2GB) is the name for the minimal MacOS used to support Internet Recovery, Disk Utility, and Installer. In this case, this Disk Image is pulled from the Mac's ROM and Mounted for your use. It is currently running your Recovery session. MacOS Base System cannot be Erased.

May 2, 2024 11:20 AM in response to Activationlockisanightmare

This does not seem to be going where you want it to go. perhaps another approach would be more productive.

If you have another Mac of a similar era that is up and running, there are several different ways you could proceed instead.

create a bootable USB-stick installer.

NB>> this is MUCH more complex than just dumping the files onto the USB stick. The USB stick must be turned into a BOOTABLE installer.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Also the downloaded MacOS images are in a disk images, which muist be Mounted, then the Package must be run to PLACE the Installer in the /Applications Folder of the Host USB-Stick-making computer, THEN the create install media sequence must be run.

follow faithfully the instructions on this site for 'Use Web browser'

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Mac Pro (Late 2013) installer resources have expired and booting into safe mode shuts down the mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.