Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMac mid 2010. How do I restore Time Machine backup when one of two internal drives is dead?

Problem:

I have a Mid 2010 iMac (21.5") with 2 hard drives: (1) 500GB main os drive, still works, and (2) customer 2.5" 1TB drive / dead. The 1 TB drive had all of my media including linked iPhotos library.

Question(s):

I have a mult-drive Time Machine back up that shows both volumes.

1. Can I attach an external drive, and do a restore to the new drive configuration that includes 1 internal OS drive and 1 external media/storage drive?
  2. Will I be presented with an option to select the new external drive and map things during restoration?
  3. If successful, will the iPhotos library be linked or easily linkable to the user account(s)?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 11:15 AM

1. Can I attach an external drive, and do a restore to the new drive configuration that includes 1 internal OS drive and 1 external media/storage drive?

I wouldn't do that, I would simply use Migration Assistant using your Time Machine backup.

1. Will I be presented with an option to select the new external drive and map things during restoration?

Nope

1. If successful, will the iPhotos library be linked or easily linkable to the user account(s)?

When you the Migration Assistant method I explained, yes the library will be linked.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2024 11:15 AM in response to Michael Northcutt

I wouldn't do that, I would simply use Migration Assistant using your Time Machine backup.

1. Will I be presented with an option to select the new external drive and map things during restoration?

Nope

1. If successful, will the iPhotos library be linked or easily linkable to the user account(s)?

When you the Migration Assistant method I explained, yes the library will be linked.

Apr 24, 2024 8:55 AM in response to Michael Northcutt

You should replace the 2010 with a new Mac. Then do the following:

When you buy a new Mac the easiest, quickest and most reliable method to migrate from the old Mac to the new Mac is to simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. You will likely need a USB A to USB C adapter, you can find them on Amazon for $10 or less. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts and it's done! It is THAT simple.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts. 

The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps), data files & settings. They do not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated. As long as you kept the security keys for installing their apps, it is not an issue. 

Finally, never EVER use Wi-Fi when doing Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant. Why, it simply fails in most cases. Please read and follow the directions in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the older Mac then create one! If you are not aware of Time Machine, please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine and finally if you need an External Hard Disk to use as a Time Machine External Hard Disk then many experience users on these forums prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to it's reasonable price, high level of quality and ease of use. 

Apr 24, 2024 9:06 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply.

I'll want to use 2nd method of MA assistant since the old user account info is legacy stuff for me.

As a follow up... Do you know the answer to:

1. "Will I be presented with an option to select the new external drive and map things during restoration?"

I have already purchased a new mac and I don't want to store the 1TB media volume that was part of the original TM backup internally on new Mac. I'm hoping I setup the user account on new mac and target an attached external drive for the Media volume. And, also be able to relink the iPhotos library.

Thanks.

iMac mid 2010. How do I restore Time Machine backup when one of two internal drives is dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.