Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I restore a multi-drive Time Machine back up to different drives / locations on a different Mac? El Capitan, High Sierra, Catalina

Background:

I have a Time Machine back up from a MBP 2010 13" that includes two separate drives in the backup. The machine is now dead. I believe it was last running OS Mavericks - El Capitan (can't recall).

I have a Mac Pro that is fully loaded with a several bootable OS drives El Capitan and Catalina, as well as ample partitions that could be used for the 2nd drive restoration from the original Time Machine back up.

Q: Can I use Time Machine to restore the MBP backup onto the Mac Pro clone OS drive and select a partition for the 2nd drive restore, during the process?

In general I'm not sure what to expect when I get to the options in Time Machine restoration process and ability to target destinations locations. And, I don't want to accidentally overwrite any other drives or partitions in the Mac Pro.

Once restored, I plan to do a new TM back up and begin a new migration to newer tech.

Thanks.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 8:59 AM

1 reply

Can I restore a multi-drive Time Machine back up to different drives / locations on a different Mac? El Capitan, High Sierra, Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.