Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone XR no volume unless on speaker

My iPhone XR recently stopped working unless it is on speaker, I can hear the caller but very faint. I tried all the troubleshooting as welll as remove Bluetooth so my Apple Watch is not connected, what do I do please

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 9:28 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2024 9:31 AM in response to 123Krista123

It seems like the ear speaker is disfunctional

Try this

1. Remove all screen protectors, films or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the opening of the speaker to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics) and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you can't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker may need to be serviced.
  5. If you can hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear anything, or you hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try calling again later or from a different location.

If this is not working please  contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

iPhone XR no volume unless on speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.