Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple motion 3D objects

Are 3D objects in Apple Motion copyright-free?

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 1:38 PM

If you mean can you use the 3D objects for personal and commercial use, then the answer is Yes. That does not mean that the content is copyright-free!

Content provided with Apple applications generally have a *license* for up to and including commercial use (Apple has paid for those licenses for you with your purchase of the Application). You can use the content for any purpose, but it is not technically, "copyright-free" (if it's newer than 70 years old). There is very little that is copyright free in the modern world. Technically, anything anyone creates that is "original" is automatically copyrighted for 70 years.

There is Open Source which promotes copying (conditionally — you are compelled to give "improvements" back to the "pool"), and Creative Commons (with or without attributions) and free licensing for some things (depends on the author/creator.)

If you consider yourself a professional, then you should always provide attribution/credit for work you did not personally create that you use in your own work regardless if it was free to use, or not. (You will find this particularly helpful if you use a platform like YouTube for distribution since thousands have probably already used the same content in their productions — and even if you have content that requires no attribution, this situation can still cause problems with copyright infringements, especially if the "other users" are a**es about it.)

With regards to the content in Motion, if there is no individual or non-Apple attribution that can be found, then the copyright notice goes to Apple, Inc. [I make this distinction because in Logic, with Apple Loops, external attributions can be found, example: Detroit Chop Shop, etc.]

Copyright notices should be "burned into" your production. Placing them in a text description of your video doesn't count. Also, make sure you put a copyright notice to yourself along with the other credits. This absolves the distribution source (YouTube, et al) from responsibility for the copyrighted material you used in your production.

I learned all this the hard way — but after I started applying the (opening or closing) credits, I decided I liked the overall "look" of my videos better.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2024 1:38 PM in response to JustinLex

If you mean can you use the 3D objects for personal and commercial use, then the answer is Yes. That does not mean that the content is copyright-free!

Content provided with Apple applications generally have a *license* for up to and including commercial use (Apple has paid for those licenses for you with your purchase of the Application). You can use the content for any purpose, but it is not technically, "copyright-free" (if it's newer than 70 years old). There is very little that is copyright free in the modern world. Technically, anything anyone creates that is "original" is automatically copyrighted for 70 years.

There is Open Source which promotes copying (conditionally — you are compelled to give "improvements" back to the "pool"), and Creative Commons (with or without attributions) and free licensing for some things (depends on the author/creator.)

If you consider yourself a professional, then you should always provide attribution/credit for work you did not personally create that you use in your own work regardless if it was free to use, or not. (You will find this particularly helpful if you use a platform like YouTube for distribution since thousands have probably already used the same content in their productions — and even if you have content that requires no attribution, this situation can still cause problems with copyright infringements, especially if the "other users" are a**es about it.)

With regards to the content in Motion, if there is no individual or non-Apple attribution that can be found, then the copyright notice goes to Apple, Inc. [I make this distinction because in Logic, with Apple Loops, external attributions can be found, example: Detroit Chop Shop, etc.]

Copyright notices should be "burned into" your production. Placing them in a text description of your video doesn't count. Also, make sure you put a copyright notice to yourself along with the other credits. This absolves the distribution source (YouTube, et al) from responsibility for the copyrighted material you used in your production.

I learned all this the hard way — but after I started applying the (opening or closing) credits, I decided I liked the overall "look" of my videos better.

Apple motion 3D objects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.