Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What cord do i buy that will connect my early 2014 macbook air OS 11 usb-a port to my hp printer 1200n 2002 with usb port VIA my ethernet cord that comes out of jetdirect 175X (which connected into printer’s usb port)

I hope someone knows how to connect these. Thanks.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 12:43 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2024 1:00 PM in response to EliCh3

The JetDirect 175x is a network print server. It makes the connected printer available on your network be it Ethernet or Wi-Fi, so you technically should not need any cable to access the printer form the Mac, but rather a driver so it can be found on the network.

You don't connect your Mac directly the print server with a cable. You

connect the print server to your network router with the ethernet cable.

And then look for the printer on the network from your Mac.

Also, the Print Server is unnecessary, because the 1200n printer already has an ethernet port and network capability.

If you what want is to connect the Printer directly to the Mac, then disconnect the JetDirect 175x from the printer's USB port, and connect the printer directly from its USB port to the Mac's USB port using a USB-B to USB-A cable.

Apr 24, 2024 2:25 PM in response to EliCh3

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that this is an HP LaserJet 1200n Printer.

Normally, an n model printer is equipped with a network port (that is, for Ethernet).

However, at least according to the following HP documentation, the HP LaserJet 1200n does not appear to have a normal built-in (Ethernet) network port, and would therefore need the HP JetDirect 175X print server.

https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpl10413.pdf

See also the HP LaserJet 1200 series products user guide:

https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpl10395.pdf#G5.1006340

What cord do i buy that will connect my early 2014 macbook air OS 11 usb-a port to my hp printer 1200n 2002 with usb port VIA my ethernet cord that comes out of jetdirect 175X (which connected into printer’s usb port)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.